Expand your retail career with a Retail Management Certificate or select individual courses for self-growth
This Retail Management Certificate is designed to prepare individuals working in the retail industry and related fields to compete for a growing number of management positions in that industry. This certificate combines leadership, style, trends, planning and strategy. The knowledge and skills acquired in this certificate can be applied across a variety of retail settings including department stores, franchise operations, supermarkets and specialty chain stores.
Successful Graduates will:
- Learn how to operate and manage a retail business
- Discover how to market products and services
- Learn how to enhance customer relations
- Understand and write reports to run a retail business
- Learn best practices for supervising and motivating employees
Students can use the curriculum in three ways:
- Certificate:Complete the 11-course program and receive a Certificate in Retail Management.
- AS Degree: Complete the Retail Management courses and general education requirements and receive the EVC Associate in Science Degree.
- Single courses of interest: Take just the courses of interest in the retail program
Retail Employment Opportunities:
The retail industry is changing rapidly, diversifying their inventories and providing a greater variety of services to cater to a one-stop shopper. Larger stores are offering amenities such as dining areas, coffee shops and groceries. Changes will continue as competition increases, presenting new opportunities for those with the proper education and skills.
In Santa Clara County in 2009, first-line Supervisors/Managers in Retail Stores earn between $30,000 and $50,000 per year (http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov ) . Store managers receive annual salaries ranging from $50,000 to $70,000 and often can earn a bonus based on store performance (http://www.indeed.com/salary).
Grocery Industry Supported Program
Certificate endorsed by the Western Association of Food Chains. See www.wafc.com for information.
All of the major grocery chains in the Western United States support this specially recognized community college certificate and encourage students to take advantage of the valuable classes offered. This certificate is recommended for all food industry retailers, wholesalers, suppliers, brokers and manufacturers. The courses help students develop an understanding of the retail industry and the requirements for success as a manager in the retail environment.