To arrange a Library instructional session (orientation) for your class, call the reference desk at 274-7900 x6661, come in to the library, or send your request to email@example.com. A librarian will schedule the visit and discuss any details of the current assignment.
Guidelines for Arranging Sessions:
- Schedule your session at least one week in advance. Advance notice gives the instructing librarian time to prepare class handouts and other instructional aids and to develop appropriate search strategies using periodical and research databases. To check availability in advance, you may view the online calendar in MS Outlook by following this path: Go to Outlook—Public Folders—All Public Folders—EVC Library—Instructional Sessions—IS Calendar.
- If you have specific learning outcomes for your students please communicate what those desired outcomes are to the instructing librarian in advance of the session. Include skills you would like your students to demonstrate by the end of the session.
- The ability to locate the library homepage, search the catalog and databases;
- Knowledge of library collections, facilities, and polices; or
- The ability to evaluate information for relevance, authority, and objectivity.
- If there are no specific assignments, are there topics that students will be assigned to research in class? Books or articles being discussed? What topics will you cover in your course? Providing the instructing librarian with this information will make it easier to tailor the content of the orientation or instructional session to your particular class need.
- Plan to be present and to participate in the orientation session. As a course instructor, your attendance during the library instruction session is obligatory. Your presence and active participation during the instruction will reinforce key concepts, sources, and skills and will convey to students the message that information literacy skills will help them succeed in your course.
Please adhere to these guidelines which can help to maximize the success of your library instructional sessions. Once you have had your session, please fill out the post-instruction survey, found by following this link.