The Internet and Socializing
By Jason Allen
Types of Internet Socializing
Communities of people.
- People share the same interest as
- Interact with people: friends, families,
acquaintances, or random people.
Alternative way to meet people.
- No blind dates
- No bars, clubs, or events.
Feel more confident.
- Hiding behind the computer screen.
- More comfortable typing than speaking.
- Too nervous to ask someone out in
Fun way of socializing.
- Plays games with other people.
- Engage in conversation.
- Meet people who have the same
interest in games as you.
* Leads to friendships.
Benefits of Internet Socializing
Meet people worldwide.
Stay in touch with old friends.
Make new friends online.
Internet socializing can help improve communication skills
Good tool to practice communicating with people.
No face-to-face interaction.
- Less nervous, more relaxed.
Boyd, Brian. “No need to whisper. Meeting online is OK.” SouthCoastToday.com. 16 Nov. 2007. Nov. 2007.
Clemmitt, Marcia. “Cyber Socializing.” CQ Researcher. 28 July 2006. Nov. 2007.
Glazer, Sarah. “Video Games.” CQ Researcher. 10 Nov. 2006. Nov. 2007.